Did you know that your sense of smell varies over the course of a day? It’s true. Smell is an extremely important sense: it allows you to experience and enjoy the world around you and it also warns you of danger, such as spoiled food or a fire nearby. It’s also important for eating; just think about how bland food tastes when you have a cold and can’t smell what’s on your fork. It’s helpful to understand the way your sense of smell changes throughout the day because these changes can affect all of these capabilities.
Although it isn’t exactly the same for everyone, in general, your sensitivity to smells is lower in the morning and higher in the evening, with peak sensitivity beginning around 9 pm. It isn’t well-understood why your sense of smell fluctuates in this way. From an evolutionary standpoint, it could be that having a better sense of smell at night helped ensure greater satiety during the evening meal, or it might be a way of increasing sexual desire. It could also make humans more aware of any potential dangers before going to sleep for the night.
One thing is clear – knowing when your smell sensitivity peaks can help you tailor your scenting experience, as taking advantage of these times of heightened sensitivity could help you get the most out of your essential and aroma oils and enjoy the most pleasant experience.
Best scents for morning
When you need an extra boost to get you going in the morning, scent can be your best friend. Some aromas have the power to energize and refresh, and these are perfect for the early hours when you need to get your day started off right. Great first-thing-in-the-morning scents include:
- Lemon. Citrusy scents readily increase the production of serotonin, giving your mood a boost and making it much easier to get up and moving.
- Peppermint. Peppermint isn’t just for toothpaste. When you diffuse peppermint oil in the morning, you’ll enjoy a clean, fresh, zippy start to your day.
- Rosemary. Rosemary is great for fatigue in general, making it ideal for morning diffusing. You can also look for a blend that contains rosemary and eucalyptus for an herbaceous treat.
- Eucalyptus. Speaking of Eucalyptus, our Eucalyptus aroma oil blend contains notes of rosemary and citrus to give your home a revitalizing scent.
- Basil. Basil is beautiful when the sun is rising. It blends nicely with citrus oils but even on its own, basil helps you focus, making your mind sharper and your body more energetic.
- Ginger. Ginger is great any time of day for a quick energy lift – and you’ll love waking up to this warm, spicy, vibrant aroma.
- Cinnamon. Especially in the fall and winter, diffusing cinnamon aroma oil sets the stage for a happy, cozy day. It’s hard not to want to get out of bed and embrace the morning when cinnamon is the first thing you smell.
Best scents for afternoon
During the day, you’re probably busy, whether at work or at home – or maybe even working at home. Afternoons can bring unwelcome energy slumps, but these can be fought back with the right steps. A healthy snack, a few stretches, and the right aroma can do the trick nicely. Try:
- Grapefruit. Grapefruit oil is invigorating and refreshing, giving your energy levels a boost. It can also help balance your mind and keep your from feeling overstimulated or overwhelmed.
- Vanilla. Vanilla is one of the scents you can choose that has the ability to lift your mood and calm you down at the same time. It will provide relief from stress and depression and give you the kick you need to get through the rest of the day.
- Green tea. Green tea has a revitalizing scent that refreshes and energizes. Our Green Tea & Lemongrass blend gives an invigorating, exotic feel to any space.
- Fresh cut grass. Our Fresh Cut Grass blend offers a bright, vibrant, fresh scent with notes of natural moss and bark. It’s the perfect way to add some energizing freshness to your afternoon.
Best scents for evening
When the day begins to wind down, you need your scents to help you wind down, too. People have been using essential oils for thousands of years to induce calm and relaxation. As modern research continues to support their use, more and more people are using aromatherapy to manage stress and create a quiet, peaceful mood. Even if you sleep well already – and especially if you don’t – there are several scents you can try that are perfectly suited for the evening hours, helping you release the stress of the day and get ready for sleep.
- Chamomile. Often associated with tea, chamomile is known for its relaxing properties. Breathing in this earthy scent is sure to put you in a bedtime frame of mind.
- Rose. This lovely and elegant scent can help relieve anxiety, depression, and stress. A rose-scented environment will help you feel grounded and secure as you complete your relaxing bedtime routine.
- Lavender. Lavender is famous for its soothing abilities. It also has mood-enhancing properties. Lavender is a classic bedtime scent that will have you drifting off to a peaceful sleep in no time. Our Lavender aroma oil blend is perfectly balanced by hints of clove, cedarwood, eucalyptus, and leather.
- Cedarwood. The scent of cedarwood is outdoorsy and sweet; it’s like opening your windows and letting in a fresh breeze. This natural and earthy scent is perfect for helping you feel grounded and in touch with nature as you wind down.
- Jasmine. Jasmine is an exotic scent that not only helps people sleep better, but can also help you set the mood if you’re entertaining friends or spending a quiet evening with your partner.
Whatever time of day it is, Aromatech has a scent you’ll love. Aromatherapy can be used in so many different ways to benefit your physical and mental health – take advantage of our 100% pure essential and aroma oils today and watch your happiness grow.